COSHH stands for the Control of Substances Hazardous to Heath. It is the law that employers control substances that are hazardous to health.
What is a substance hazardous to healthSubstances come in more than just one form and the COSHH regulations cover the following:
- Products containing chemicals
- Fumes Dusts
- Vapours Mists
- Gases and asphyxiating gases and Biological agents (germs). If the packaging has any of the hazard symbols then it is classed as a hazardous substance.
COSHH and reducing the riskTo help reduce and prevent the exposure to your employees and workers you can do the following:
- Identifying the health hazards
- Doing a risk assessment
- Putting in control measures
- Making sure the measures are understood and implemented by the staff
- Making sure information and guidance is easily available
- Have plans in place for any emergencies which may occur
Before you start a COSHH AssessmentYou will need to think about the following before you undertake a COSHH assessment.
- Think about your workplace and where the exposure points are
- How are the substances harmful to the health of you and the businesses employees
- Are there any jobs or task undertaken that could lead to exposure?
In-depth Reading on COSHH
Author Bio - Laura Holland
Social Media and Web Content Coordinator, Jan 2014 - May 2015